Sunday, May 10, 2009

Wal-Mart, Target lead encouraging retail report

By Anne D'Innocenzio, AP Retail Writer

In USAToday.com, The month of April ended up being a lucrative month at many different store across the country. Some say that it could be the weather that is influencing consumers' behavior. I have to admit I fall into that category sometimes. There is something about the way my mood changes when the sun is shining and there is not a cloud in the sky. I cannot help but to want to be out and about and that means out shopping. When I shop it normally leads to some damage to my checking account, however living in Athens these last few years have been good for me. Because there is no real mall here in Athens, it is hard for me to do real damage to my bank account making that a good thing in disguise. 
Though, there is a Wal-Mart in Athens and I do tend to shop there a lot more than I want to. 
I consider Wal-Mart to be the store that best captures impulsive shoppers. This spontaneous shopping is so easy to do in Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart has everything! I find myself going in there for two items such as a gallon of milk and contact solution; however, I walk out with five more items. Once I start going down the aisles, I think to myself I need this or want that. It is apparent that I am not the only consumer falling into Wal-Mart's trap. According to the article, "Wal-Mart reported a stronger-than-expected 5% rise in sales at U.S. stores open at least a year." After learning about this in class, I am more aware of my behavior and how it is more about me partaking in unplanned buying which is when I am reminded to buy something. Unfortunately, this happens too often when I shop at Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart has food, clothing, shoes, and once again everything I need. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment